Church Building

Our Church Building

  • Gosforth Parish Church stands on what is probably the oldest church site in Newcastle with evidence suggesting that in Saxon times it may have been the only church in the area. We know the names of most of our parish clergy from 1153.
  • In 1798/9 the builder/architect John Dodds rebuilt the church entirely in late Georgian style, with substantial alterations in 1818/20 overseen by the well-known Newcastle architect, John Dobson. Since then there have been numerous adaptations and enlargements but the building remains essentially as Dodds and Dobson planned it and lends itself to well-done traditional Anglican worship.
  • We are very proud to have St. Nicholas as our patron saint and we seek to imitate Nicholas in his care for one another and creation.
  • We welcome people of all traditions, as well as enquirers and seekers after faith, to share our life and worship. Children and young people are welcome here and we have a thriving Junior Church with many young families. We hope we make everyone feel at home!