At Gosforth St. Nicholas we try to witness to our Christian faith through our service to our local and wider communities. Some of the ways we do this are:
· Developing closer links of support and co-operation with other Churches in our Deanery and Diocese , with our Diocesan links of Botswana, More, Winchester and with local churches through Christians Together in Gosforth.
· Developing links with the Parish of St. George’s Wall and St. Nicholas Mordialloc in Australia.
· Supporting the work of Christian Aid and USPG, and regularly support Homelessness Sunday, St. Oswald’s Hospice and The People’s Kitchen
· having as close and supportive links as possible with the schools in our parish (7 of them – the Vicar is Governor at Archbishop Runcie First School* and Gosforth Park First school ), seeking to develop links with the medical practices (4) in our parish.
· seeking to develop links with the various allotment associations and other similar groups
· We try also to attend the local Ward Committee and to be aware of the concerns of the local residents’ associations
· Our Church halls are regularly and heavily used by the wider local community and provide a real service to many.
Our Church School – Archbishop Runcie First School
· In line with the Dearing Report we believe that church schools are central to the mission of the church and we welcome all opportunities to serve Archbishop Runcie School, its children, staff and parents.
· We seek to have close and mutually supportive links with Archbishop Runcie First school
· The Vicar is a Governor ex officio. He leads worship in school most weeks and is very often in school at other times too.
· Several members of our congregation serve as Foundation governors .
· Children from the school regularly visit our church building both for worship and for educational purposes.
· Recently we have started to develop a School Eucharist in the school
· we have a termly School Link Eucharist on a Sunday to which all parents at the school are invited
· We look to developing a “twinned” church-school noticeboard system
· We look to having a prayer link between school and church
- We look to developing a shared termly newsletter